Renew Our World have been running the Rubbish Campaign since May 2019. We're targeting Coca-Cola, Nestle, PepsiCo and Unilever, calling on them to stop the rubbish problem their plastic products create. Without waste collection, the build-up or burning of plastic waste leads to disease and death, as well as contributing to climate change.
We know when we take action, change can happen. Thanks to your campaigning and prayers, Unilever have committed to halve their use of virgin plastics by 2025 and collect as much or more plastic than they sell. This is a big step towards two of our #RubbishCampaign asks! With this Coca-Cola action, we can keep pushing for even more positive action from them and others.
We want to keep the pressure up on all the companies, but we particularly want to make sure that Coca-Cola gets this message loud and clear. You can help be creating a message in a Coke bottle! Here is how:
Prepare your bottle
You can use either a used plastic bottle or a ‘paper bottle’:
The used bottle (for biggest impact):
The ‘Paper bottle’:
Write a message
- Find a used plastic bottle from a brand owned by Coca-Cola - such as Coke, Sprite, Fanta, Powerade, Innocent, Oasis or Smartwater. You can use one of your own, ask friends or family, or find one in a recycling bin or (sadly) littered in your local area.
- Make sure your bottle is clean and dry.
Send via social media and/or mail:
- Write a message to Coca-Cola on a piece of paper (or your ‘paper bottle’).
You can write as little or as much as you like. It could be as simple as ‘Dear Coca-Cola, please STOP THE RUBBISH. #RubbishCampaign’. Don’t forget to include your name and our #RubbishCampaign hashtag.
- If you’d like to, you can include your contact details and ask the company to respond to you.
To maximise the impact on Coca-Cola, we’re inviting you to send your message via social media and/or physical mail. If you can do both - great! If you can only do one, that’s fine too.
- Take a photo of your bottle and message, and share this on social media.
Make sure you tag @CocaCola and @RenewOurWorld on Twitter, Facebook, or Instagram, and use the hashtag #RubbishCampaign
- Send your bottle and message to Coca-Cola’s HQ:
VP Global Policy and Sustainability
The Coca-Cola Company
- We recommend that you use an envelope, so that it’s easier for your mail service provider to process.
- You may want to flatten the bottle so that it is easier to fit in an envelope.
Please let us know that you’ve taken action by emailing [email protected]
Please do also pray that Coca-Cola listen to the ask of our campaign and that they take action to stop being rubbish!